So apparently, not everyone is born with brows like Brooke Shields (if you do, you should be THANKFUL) because eyebrows frame your face, if you don’t wear any makeup but your brows are full and groomed, you will look absolutely fine but if you happen to have sparse brows (glares at myself) than you should make an extra effort to define it. I’ll talk about some tips on how to shape and fill your brows…. Let’s get started….
Shaping Your Brows
I was never allowed to shape my brows up until the end of senior year, I mean my mom recommended that I should keep my brow shape, remembering my age she said that arching your brows can add a few years to your look plus it requires more grooming and yes I must agree with that. Unless if you have like the worst case of uni-brow then you should not shape your brows until.. well… til’ you’re ready to take full care of your brows! Til then, if it needs more definition just fill it in with brow powder and you’re good to go.
So If you’re ready to shape ’em….
If you trust yourself that you will take care of your brows and promise to keep stray hairs away then welcome to the world of brow grooming. Here’s what I usually do:
1. Go to a professional eyebrow threader to get a divine arch (read the end of the article for contact numbers)
2. Use tweezers to touch up the shape by plucking stray hair
Do It Yourself…
If you don’t have the time to visit a professional, you can definitely do it at home but I highly recommend using an eyebrow stencil as a guide.
– Choose the stencil template (I recommend the medium arch) stick the stencil on top of your brows
– fill in the stencil with a dark eyebrow pencil or eyebrow powder
– remove the stencils then you can see the parts where you didn’t fill in and simply pluck away unwanted hair.
Voila, perfect brows! Oh it’s best to do it after you shower when the hair follicles are still open so it’s easier to pluck.
One thing to keep in mind, don’t make your brows TOO skinny, stencil just act like a guide, you can modify the shape. Keep your natural shape to get the best result! After you pluck, soothe the plucked areas with cucumber to reduce redness!
Filling It In…
It’s entirely up to you on how you want to fill in your brows but pay attention to the color! If you have dark hair, your brows should be 1-2 shades lighter than your hair color but if you are light hair, it should be 1-2 shades darker.
– Eyebrow Pencil: the most basic way to fill in brows but it’s a bit tricky because it can sometimes make the brows look “drawn”, draw with soft small strokes and blend it with an eyebrow brush for natural result. (Rimmel or Revlon Eyebrow Pencil is so great)
– Eyebrow Powder: eyebrow powder wont stick if you have little or no hair, this is best used on people that have hair on their brow to fill in sparse areas. However, if you dont have much hair, you can apply brow powder after eyebrow pencil to make your brows more defined. (LORAC Take a Brow or Bodyshop Eyebrow Kit)
-Eyebrow Pomade: it’s basically a colored wax for your brows, can be used both to fill in and tame brow hair, yet again it will adhere to hair so if you dont have much hair on your brows, skip this option. (Anastasia Eyebrow Pomade)
How I Define my Brows Video:
All about brows in Jakarta….
Visit these places to get your brows threaded by my favorite professionals
Mba Tari ( Caramel Waxing Salon Pondok Indah) – 0811858060
Ibu Narsih (Narsih Waxing Salon Puloraya) – 08158212142
Browhaus Senayan City – 021 72781486
Where to buy eyebrow stencils? ModelCo has an amazing eyebrow kit along with the stencils too! Buy them at Senses Grand Indonesia Shopping Town, East Mall 2nd Floor, Skybridge Unit B2-01/02, Phone: 021 2358 0237.
So… Are you going to arch your brows?? 😉